Sunday, September 25, 2011

VW Camping Event in Bath, Maine






Now off to our VW Show in Bath, Maine.



Bath.
We were on our way to the VW show and stopped into a small town along the highway. Bangor. He we stayed a night, got some work done and I wanted to switch out the spark plugs in favor of some real German plugs. I had left Tracey at a local Starbucks and, having ordered the plugs the day before, heading down to the auto parts store to pick them up. I pulled into the parking lot intent on doing the switch out right there in the parking lot. No trouble. Old ones out. New ones in.

Just then a orange VW pulls up beside me. Out hops a young guy named Scott. He says, "Hey are you Mark?" I look him and his bus over and reply, "Yes, who is asking?"  He pulls an envelope from his pocket and says, "My name is Scott, and I think I have some mail for you."

We share a laugh as I thank him for the envelope and explain. I had noticed while we were back in Canada... going around the Gaspe Penninsula, that my license had expired. Calling back to BC I had arranged to have a replacement license mailed out to the address of a fellow VW'er named Gary, who we had met in Nova Scotia. He actually lived in New Brunswick, and we were going to be passing by his place on our way to the USA. Well, as we got to Gary's house, he was not there and we had to keep moving, but we knew he was coming to the VW event in Bath, Maine so we figured he'd bring it with him. Well, it turned out he couldn't make it with his bus, so he gave our mail to Scott who was coming. Scott and his wife just happened to be stopping in Bangor and spotted our green bus. And there you have it.... I got my mailed delivered 6000 km from home. lol.

Bath VW Event
This was the largest assembly of VW Buses we have seen yet. There must have been 50 buses in attendance. We were peppered through the woods and had just marvelous sunny skies during the day and evenings of starry wonders to keep us up at night. We all were hosted by a campsite that gave us a remarkable rate for the weekend and the organizers cooked up a lobster and clam dinner for all of us. In the morning that we were all going to leave, a parade was organized and 50 or so VW Campers headed down the highway to a local beach to all park in a row and show off a bit. There were special draws and prizes awarded, but we didn't win anything, except the admiration of all in attendance. If it was a show n shine, I am sure we would have come away with something more then the fond memories we have now.

1 comment:

  1. Been following your journey since we met @ Kelowna I.H.O.P. Then you came to visit us in Lake country. Your adventure is of Him! Angelika

    ReplyDelete